How can I know if someone I care about has bipolar disorder?

Keith Star
Bipolar disorder is common with those who have a sibling or parent with the illness and in families having several generations affected with mood disorders. The estimated age for the onset of bipolar disorder is during the early twenties.
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
The only way to be certain someone you know has bipolar disorder is if he or she has been diagnosed with the condition by a qualified doctor. However, there are clear symptoms of the two extremes of bipolar disorder -- mania and depression -- that may lead you to suspect that someone has the condition. A person experiencing mania, with classic symptoms, might be talking quickly and jumping from one idea to another; restless; easily distracted; have little interest in sleep; and be overconfident, impulsive, or exhibit reckless behavior. This manic behavior may alternate with periods of depression, during which a person will seem sad and hopeless, and lose interest in favorite activities. Some people experience a condition called mixed bipolar disorder. Symptoms may include agitation, irritability, and behaviors that seem to combine mania and depression, such as seeming sad, but having racing thoughts. Be honest with someone you suspect has bipolar disorder. Suggest he or she see a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Smoking During Pregnancy Ups Bipolar Risk in Children
It’s nothing new to hear that smoking is bad for you, or that smoking during pregnancy is harmful to your baby. But here’s an unexpected twist: Mother...
What are psychotic delusions in bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Psychotic delusions in bipolar disorder are far-fetched, highly unrealistic, even bizarre belief...
Can bipolar disorder make me psychotic?
YES!! Bipolar disorder can make you psychotic and start believing or even seeing things that are not...
Maurice Benard’s Battle With Bipolar Disorder