How can I help my friend who may have bipolar disorder?

If you think a friend may have bipolar disorder, encourage him to see a doctor. Getting a diagnosis is the first step. He will then work with his doctor to figure out what treatment plan is best for him. In the meantime (and even after he gets a diagnosis), try to be as patient and understanding of his changing moods as your parents tried to be when you were a teenager. Listen closely while your friend talks, and continue inviting him to participate in positive activities like kickball, dinners, or going to the movies so he does not feel isolated.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Is the Stigma Associated with a Bipolar Diagnosis Improving?
What Is the Role of Genetics and Environment with Bipolar Disorder?
Understanding Bipolar Disorder
Understanding Bipolar Disorder
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
What Is Bipolar Disorder?