Is bipolar disorder serious?

Bipolar disorder is not life-threatening in itself, though it can seriously and dangerously affect the lives of people experiencing depressive and manic episodes. Depressive episodes can lead to thoughts of self-harm and suicide. Manic episodes can lead to risky behavior like unsafe sex and poor financial decisions. To prevent these negative effects, people experiencing manic or depressive episodes may require hospitalization.

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
It sure is! It's very serious. It deals with the very delicate chemicals of the brain. It's not like the arm where we intimately know the workings of the muscles, tendons, bones and blood. The brain is a myriad of many chemicals and physical mass- so many things we know and don't know!
Medications work, but it's not always known how. This is why drugs created for another illness (such as Tegretol, Depakote and Lamictal created to treat epilepsy) are often found to work with bipolar. It's an accident!
I don't want to freak anyone out, but I consider bipolar disorder one of the worst illnesses in the world. All of us who are affected by the illness know the truth: it's complicated, frustrating, confusing, dangerous, scary, odd, and so much more!
Is it treatable? Yes. Can we live regular lives once it's under control? Yes! But we must always respect the power of the illness to affect our lives negatively. We must be serious about our treatment in order to take away the control bipolar disorder may have on our lives. 
PS: Insulin dependent diabetes is scary too- but people live with it all of the time!
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Bipolar disorder is a serious illness that requires treatment from a qualified physician. People who have this condition experience frequent and intense changes in mood and behavior. In some cases, the extremes may be relatively mild and a person with the condition may be able to manage his or her life. However, bipolar disorder often worsens over time. People with this illness often struggle to maintain personal relationships, hold on to jobs, and function in society. Suicide is unusually common among people with bipolar disorder. However, with the proper diagnosis and treatment, it's possible to have a long and healthy life.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

A Doctor's Advice for People Diagnosed With Bipolar Disorder
A bipolar diagnosis can be scary if you don't have a lot of information. Watch Sue Varma, MD, share her advice for people newly diagnosed with bipolar...
Can alcohol affect bipolar disorder?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Alcohol is a mood altering substance, and unfortunately, when you drink alcohol, you don't have any ...
How can I help prevent my partner's bipolar symptoms at social events?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Social events often trigger bipolar disorder symptoms. Many people see partying (going out for a few...
What Is the Difference Between Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia?