What are the challenges of following a treatment plan for bipolar disorder?

John Preston, PsyD
Following a treatment plan prescribed by your healthcare provider is essential to surviving and thriving with bipolar disorder. Aside from the stigma that accompanies mental illness, the challenge of medication adherence often sabotages treatment of bipolar disorder. A lot of that has to do with the complicated decisions you must make and the blur of various pharmaceutical options that come your way once you've been diagnosed.

Even mental health professionals get confused about the myriad options available for treating bipolar disorder. Many manic or depressive episodes are triggered from noncompliance with medication due to either inadvertent or deliberate misuse of prescribed medications. Despite the frustration of finding the right mix of medications, however, pharmaceutical treatment is still the best way to maintain balanced moods in someone with bipolar disorder.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Are there drugs to treat bipolar disorder that do not cause weight gain?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
While any of the medications can cause weight gain, some are much less likely to do so. These includ...
When should I ask my doctor to change my medication for bipolar disorder?
Amanda C. Itzkoff, MDAmanda C. Itzkoff, MD
You may ask your doctor to change your bipolar depression medication if you are pregnant, still expe...
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?