Can I stop taking my bipolar medicine if I feel better?

This is generally a bad idea. While a small percentage of individuals will have a single episode, the vast majority of people are able to live well with the disorder by adapting their lifestyles to the disorder, including the regular use of medication. The vast majority of people who have been stabilized on medication will experience a relapse on discontinuation of treatment, even though this may take some months to occur. 

Absolutely not. Do not stop taking your bipolar medicine even if you have not had any recent episodes. Going cold turkey is as dangerous as jumping in front of a speeding car. If you think you can cut back, talk to your doctor. You can work together to find the best dose and combination for you.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

What mood stabilizers are used to treat bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Medications are considered mood stabilizers if they have two properties:They provide relief from acu...
Which mental health expert do I need for bipolar disorder?
Muffy WalkerMuffy Walker
I recommend seeing a psychiatrist who is not only licensed as a medical doctor, but who has certific...
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?