How do I deal with being in the psych ward hospital for bipolar disorder?

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
Did you (or someone you care about) just get out of the psych ward?  Well...
It’s common to go to the hospital if you have bipolar disorder. It can be a stressful time, so it’s important to have a plan for when you come home. (Loved ones can really, really help with this!)
Here are three tips:
  1. Recreate the hospital environment at home so that you can ease back into life.  Hospitals can be traumatic, but they can also be comforting. There is a routine with set meal times and doctor rounds. Structure helps so much when you get out of the hospital. The less stimulation at first, the better.
  2. Forget the guilt and shame. Just let it go. I mean this. You went to the hospital because you were sick. You would NEVER be filled with guilt and shame if you had shoulder surgery! You are not weak if you go to a psych ward. If anyone is telling you otherwise, tell them they have to mess with me! People who are seriously physically ill go to the hospital and their loved ones feel relief that the person is safe. A person with bipolar disorder goes to a psych ward and everyone gets freaky scared! You went to the hospital because you have a physical illness called bipolar disorder and it got a bit too strong for you to take care of it on your own.
Going to the hospital is a sign of strength. Good for you! Now it’s time to get a plan to manage this illness so that you don’t have to go back.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Can medication for bipolar disorder cause sexual problems?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Many antidepressants used for bipolar disorder, such as Prozac (fluoxetine), often cause sexual ...
How should I record the medications I am taking if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
The goal of this exercise is to educate you (and inform your mental healthcare provider) about all t...
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?