How do I manage my bipolar disorder on a daily basis?

To manage your bipolar disorder on a daily basis, make sure to keep all your counseling appointments and take your medications exactly as they were prescribed. Medication and therapy are often highly effective for bipolar disorder, but only if they are approached consistently. If you use drugs or alcohol, try to quit, as they can trigger mood swings. Try to live a healthy lifestyle, getting plenty of sleep and exercise. In addition, steer clear of people who might encourage you to engage in risky or harmful behavior, especially when you are in a manic state. Instead, seek out people who understand your condition and will give you the support you need.

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
It is essential for you to take all the medications your doctor has prescribed, as instructed. If you experience side effects that you find intolerable, discuss them with your physician. Never stop taking medication on your own. Be sure to eat a healthy diet and get regular exercise. Some people find it useful to maintain a daily log, writing down how they feel, what symptoms or side effects they notice, how well they sleep, and any other relevant information. Your doctor may find the data you compile valuable in helping treat your condition. 

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How do I manage my bipolar disorder?
You can help yourself with bipolar disorder by being evaluated by a psychiatrist. Learn all you ...
What are the benefits of joining a peer support group for bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Peer support groups, or group meetings of others with Bipolar Disorder, can help in treatment. These...
Is exercise important for controlling bipolar disorder?
Exercise can be good for the brain and body. Any type of moderate exercise will release endorphins, ...
Why should I limit my role as caretaker of a partner with bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
If your partner has bipolar disorder, the problem with playing the caretaker for too long is that yo...