How do I manage my bipolar disorder on a daily basis?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
It is essential for you to take all the medications your doctor has prescribed, as instructed. If you experience side effects that you find intolerable, discuss them with your physician. Never stop taking medication on your own. Be sure to eat a healthy diet and get regular exercise. Some people find it useful to maintain a daily log, writing down how they feel, what symptoms or side effects they notice, how well they sleep, and any other relevant information. Your doctor may find the data you compile valuable in helping treat your condition. 

To manage your bipolar disorder on a daily basis, make sure to keep all your counseling appointments and take your medications exactly as they were prescribed. Medication and therapy are often highly effective for bipolar disorder, but only if they are approached consistently. If you use drugs or alcohol, try to quit, as they can trigger mood swings. Try to live a healthy lifestyle, getting plenty of sleep and exercise. In addition, steer clear of people who might encourage you to engage in risky or harmful behavior, especially when you are in a manic state. Instead, seek out people who understand your condition and will give you the support you need.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How should I tell my family that I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you have bipolar disorder, you may choose to tell your family individually or as a group. You...
What lifestyle changes help with bipolar disorder?
Muffy WalkerMuffy Walker
There are several modalities that you can incorporate into your daily lifestyle to help with your bi...
Why should I track my sleep patterns if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Shifts in sleep patterns may precede or accompany bipolar symptoms, and may indicate the onset o...
How do I tell my children about my bipolar disorder?
Joseph R. Calabrese, MDJoseph R. Calabrese, MD
Say the following:  “I have been diagnosed by my doctor as having a mood disorder. The name of the ...