How should I track my sleep patterns if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
If you have bipolar disorder, it's a good idea to keep a more detailed sleep log than simply recording your number of sleep hours. The following log is one way of doing this. To complete this action step, you'll need a clock next to your bed. Follow the instructions below. Fill out the log every morning.

1. Make a table with eight columns.
2. Write the day and the date.
3. The first night you start monitoring your sleep, record the time you got into your bed.
4. The next morning record the time you fell asleep the night before. (Make an estimate, because you probably won't accurately know this time within more than fifteen minutes to a half hour.)
5. Then record the number of times you awoke on the previous night. Be sure to keep a pen and your binder by the bed so you can scribble the times of your waking and sleeping episodes during the night.
6. Record the time you awoke to begin your day in the morning.
7. Calculate the number of hours you slept by subtracting all the time you were awake from the time you were asleep.
8. Next, record the quality of your sleep on a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 meaning that you had a peaceful night and 10 representing a night in which you had nightmares, tossed and turned, and woke several times during the night.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

Should I tell people that I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Many people have stereotypical ideas about the mentally ill and if you have bipolar disorder, th...
How could my bipolar disorder progress over my lifetime?
Russ Federman, PhDRuss Federman, PhD
The question of prognosis with bipolar disorder is often difficult to answer in the early phases of ...
Can I travel or go on vacation if I have bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Or course you can travel and take vacations! But it often takes a lot of planning in order to stay s...
What is a psychiatric advance directive for people with bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
After a loved one is diagnosed with bipolar disorder, a Psychiatric Advance Directive document shoul...