How can I tell if my partner can understand my bipolar disorder?

While discussing bipolar disorder with your romantic partner, gauge his/her response for signs of understanding, compassion, and support. If you do not feel like this person respects you or regards you less for having this diagnosis, then he/she might not be worth your time. If they call you names, degrade you for your struggles, or discourage your efforts toward self-care, it might be best for you to withdraw from the relationship. Again, refer to your outside support system for assistance if you need it. If, however, while having this discussion, you feel your partner is engaged and interested, that he/she is willing to learn about bipolar disorder and to support and comfort you in your struggles, then congratulations. You have found a romantic partner with the foundational makings for a long-term relationship.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

Can I travel or go on vacation if I have bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Or course you can travel and take vacations! But it often takes a lot of planning in order to stay s...
How does bipolar disorder affect my quality of life?
Ellen FrudakisEllen Frudakis
When I was first diagnosed, my symptoms severely affected my quality of life. In fact, I felt like I...
Can my bipolar disorder affect my social life?
SooMi Lee-Samuel, MDSooMi Lee-Samuel, MD
Yes, bipolar disorder can affect one’s social life.  It can manifest as depression, mania or mood ch...
What can I do if I am discriminated against because of my bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you feel that your employer is discriminating against you because of your bipolar disorder, first...