Q

Living With Bipolar Disorder

How can I tell if my partner can understand my bipolar disorder?

• While discussing bipolar disorder with your romantic partner, gauge his/her response for signs of understanding, compassion, and support. If you do not feel like this person respects you or regards you less for having this diagnosis, then he/she might not be worth your time. If they call you names, degrade you for your struggles, or discourage your efforts toward self-care, it might be best for you to withdraw from the relationship. Again, refer to your outside support system for assistance if you need it. If, however, while having this discussion, you feel your partner is engaged and interested, that he/she is willing to learn about bipolar disorder and to support and comfort you in your struggles, then congratulations. You have found a romantic partner with the foundational makings for a long-term relationship.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I educate my partner about my bipolar disorder?