Q

Living With Bipolar Disorder

How can my family and friends help me manage my bipolar disorder?

• A , Psychology, answered
    A support system is a network of friends, family, and professionals who are willing and able to provide you with the help you need when you need it. This support could vary from accompanying you on medical visits to supporting you in your maintenance plan to sharing in your exercise program. Your friends or family may also be called upon to care for your children, notify your employer in the event of your hospitalization, or implement any emergency plans you've made. Your doctor, therapist, nurse, or other medical provider is also an important part of your support network, and having a professional to call in a crisis can really make a difference.

It's important to realize that you won't get support if no one knows you need it, and support is vital to your recovery and maintenance plan. In fact, having a support system may save your life. A review of past studies found that, along with medication adherence and psychotherapy, social support is a significant factor in extending survival times of people living with bipolar disorder.
  • Successful living with bipolar disorder isn't something you do on your own. It almost always involves help and support from family and friends. During periods of depression, one's connection with loved ones can be the strongest protective factor which that stands between you and your suicidal impulses.
    Capacities for accurate self-perception are also frequently impaired by changes brought on by elevated mood. During these times it's essential to be able to "hear" and to trust the input of others regarding your altered mood state. The supportive guiding role of parents, lovers, spouses, close friends and roommates can all be central to your strategy for getting through those difficult times when you feel destabilized.
  • A diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder can be overwhelming at first. But family and friends can make a big difference in helping you to cope with the diagnosis and deal with Bipolar Disorder on an everyday basis. Family and friends can do many things, most of all being supportive and listening, and accepting you as you are. Family and friends can also help you to create and stick to your treatment plan, lessening the chance of relapse. Seek out your friends who will stick by you and help you through the tough times. Ask them for specific help if needed to create the daily routines which will keep you stable, or for help with getting the required services.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I take care of my physical health if I have bipolar disorder?