How can I deal with rejection if I have bipolar disorder?

John Preston, PsyD
To deal with the risk of rejection and stigmatization because of bipolar disorder, talk to your mental healthcare provider about strategies that might work for you. You can also consult online resources, such as the National Alliance on Mental Illness and the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. If you experience rejection or negative emotions when telling someone, here are a few ways to respond:

- "I understand that this is a difficult thing to hear so I'll give you the time you need to get used to the idea."
- "I'm sorry you feel this way. If you ever want to talk more about it, I'm willing to have this conversation again and answer any questions you have."
- "I wasn't expecting this response from you, and although my feelings are hurt, I know that this is a difficult thing to hear about someone you love. If you have fears about this, I can give you some resources that may answer your questions."
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

Is exercise important for controlling bipolar disorder?
Exercise can be good for the brain and body. Any type of moderate exercise will release endorphins, ...
What are behavioral changes in people with bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Below are behavioral changes in people with bipolar disorder. Mania or a manic episode: Easil...
How should I tell my partner that I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Telling your romantic partner that you have bipolar disorder is a particular challenge potential...
What is voluntary hospitalization?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
Hospitalization of patients is necessary to protect them from themselves or to get them properly med...