What are the symptoms of mania in childhood bipolar disorder?

The symptoms of mania in childhood bipolar disorder affect your child’s mood and behavior. These intense feelings last almost all day for two or three weeks. Children with mania might laugh hysterically and talk excessively, jumping from one thought to another. They may have grandiose thoughts, believing they are a superhero or a rock star. They may also sleep only four to six hours a night. Many children with mania also exhibit sexually aggressive and suggestive behavior, using explicit language and being overly flirtatious. If you are concerned about your child’s mood or behavior, talk to his doctor.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

Can children and teens recover from bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Once a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder is made in children or adolescents, treatment can help to sta...
As a teen, how do I tell my friends that I have bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Bipolar disorder is no longer a taboo subject. I’ve heard kids in high school talk about it openly. ...
Can children and adolescents develop bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Both children and adolescents can develop bipolar disorder. It is more likely to affect the children...
How can I help my child recognize his bipolar disorder mania?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
The first step is for you to recognize your son’s mania. It’s such a tricky mood swing. I write abou...