What procedures are used to test bone marrow for diseases?

To test bone marrow for diseases, bone marrow can easily and very safely be taken from people for direct testing. Often diseases in the bone marrow can be diagnosed by history and a simple blood test called a CBC.

For a bone marrow aspirate, the doctor places a needle into the bone marrow and pulls out a small amount of bone marrow fluid with a syringe.

For a bone marrow biopsy, the doctor places a larger needle in the same place to get a small piece of bone marrow. It is removed and examined.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Biopsy

What happens after a breast biopsy?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The tissue obtained through FNA, stereotactic biopsy or surgery is then sent to the pathologist ...
What is a cardiac biopsy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
In a cardiac biopsy, a catheter with a small grasping device is threaded through an artery and into ...
What happens to my biopsy?
Alejandra T. Kalik, MDAlejandra T. Kalik, MD
First, a biopsy is looked at overall without a microscope, and then sections are processed separatel...
What changes to my breast should I expect after a breast biopsy?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
After a breast biopsy, you may note the following changes in your breast that will return to normal ...