Why should I exercise when I’m tired?

If you are exhausted at the end of the day, that's all the more reason to exercise. Research shows that as few as 10 weeks of regular exercise can leave people feeling more energized than they did prior to engaging in a program of physical activity.

We all struggle with motivation from time to time, but by continually putting off activity, you're turning it into a nagging chore, and that could be part of what's making you feel so lethargic. It's time to regain control of the situation.
Three Tips to Get Started:
  • Get exercise out of the way early. If you find you lack motivation at the end of the day, part of your problem may be timing. Don't put exercise off until you're too tired to do it. Plan your workout for the time of day when you feel most energized. A 10-minute walk or jog before heading off to work may be just the ticket. Or you may be able to use your lunch hour for a trip to the gym. Just don't skip lunch -- that will leave you feeling more drained. Nibble on your sandwich at your desk when you get back from working out.
  • Make exercise a social obligation. One of the most effective ways to lick the lazies is to make exercise appointments with other people. If you know someone is relying on you to show up at the park or the gym, it will be harder to blow it off. Pick up the phone or send an e-mail -- now -- to set a time to get together and do something active with a friend or coworker. You can make it fun -- throw a Frisbee in the park or play a sloppy game of tennis at lunchtime. If you're feeling ambitious, you can set a time to meet a fitness-focused friend at the gym after work so he or she can show you the ropes. Signing up for an exercise class can keep you committed to weekly workouts as well.
  • Walk for good. Turning exercise into something you do for others may be just the motivation you need to get moving. Sign up for a charity walk to raise funds for a cause close to your heart. Enlist the participation of others, and schedule times to walk together. Give yourself a goal, and try to beat it. Some charity walks offer regular group get-togethers, trainings, and other motivational activities.
If you see exercise as a mindless activity -- a mere means with no end -- then it's pretty unlikely you'll make it a regular part of your life. Finding an exercise angle that gives physical activity meaning for you is the key to staying motivated.

Continue Learning about Benefits of Regular Exercise

What’s Sweet About Sweat
What’s Sweet About Sweat
In a 1984 Gillette commercial, football coach Dan Reeves was asked about the three “nevers” it takes to be a winning coach. He answered: “Never let th...
How can I make exercise part of my daily routine?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
For exercise to become a daily activity you need to make it a number one priority, like eating brea...
What can I do to fight fatigue?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
There are physical, environmental and mental strategies that you can utilize to feel more energy and...
Can a Lack of Physical Education Impact Learning?