Why do people with Bell's palsy often get tested for Lyme disease?

Lyme disease, an illness spread by ticks, has some symptoms that are similar to those of Bell's palsy. The kind of facial paralysis people involved may appear to be the same, in both cases. Because Lyme disease is usually confirmed through blood tests, your doctor will order these if there is a possibility that you have Lyme disease instead of Bell's palsy. You may also have be submitted to other tests to make sure that you do not have conditions that are not either one of these conditions.

Continue Learning about Bell's Palsy

What do I need to know about caring for someone with Bell's palsy?
You will want to help the individual affected by Bell's palsy to follow the doctor's orders. For...
What is the difference between Bell's palsy and a stroke?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Bell's palsy and strokes differ in both their symptoms and causes. A stroke usually brings paralysi...
What is Bell's palsy?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Bell's palsy is a form of temporary facial paralysis resulting from damage or trauma to one of the p...
What should I do if I had Bell's Palsy and my eyes keep closing?
Gary S. Hirshfield, MDGary S. Hirshfield, MD
 After Bell's palsy resolves some people are left with spasms and contractures on the side of the fa...