When do most people start to notice symptoms of Bell's palsy?

At first, most people notice pain behind one of their ears. A few hours to a few days later, they notice a sudden paralysis or weakness of one half of their face. Because Bell's palsy happens so quickly, doctors can often rule out other possible conditions, such as tumors, that take longer to produce symptoms. However, since other conditions like strokes also happen quickly, people who notice sudden facial paralysis should seek emergency medical treatment.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Bell's Palsy Symptoms

What facial complications are related to Bell's palsy?
Nerves must form connections in order to conduct impulses (electrical signals) that tell your mu...
Should I talk to my doctor about my Bell's palsy symptoms?
If you suddenly experience symptoms that look like those of Bell's palsy, such as paralysis on one h...
What can I do to protect my eyes while I have Bell's palsy symptoms?
Your doctor can help you decide what eye treatments are best for you. If you are having trouble keep...
What are the symptoms of Bell's palsy?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The symptoms of Bell's palsy, which vary from person to person and range in severity from mild weakn...