What can I do to protect my eyes while I have Bell's palsy symptoms?

David R. Demartini, MD
Ophthalmology
Bell's palsy is a, usually, temporary weakness in the nerve (seventh cranial) that moves the muscles of the face. It is usually weakens only one side of the face and can affect the patient's ability to wrinkle their forehead, blink and close their eye, and talk, smile or move their lips, all on the weakened side. Because Bells' palsy is usually self limited (70% fully recover) most patient's need to protect their eyes carefully until the recovery is successful.
Protection of the eye can be a vary from simple forced blinking (if possible), frequent artificial tears or ointment, a therapeutic contact lens, patching or even temporary surgical closing of the eyelids. Your eye doctor can help make this decision depending on the amount of function of the eyelids during the palsy. This protection is extremely important because permanent scarring can develop if the eye is not moistened and protected by the normal blink mechanism. Because Bell's palsy can last for a long time, your eye doctor needs to monitor the examination of your eye frquently to be sure that the scarring does not develop. Patient's often miss the early signs of the scarring so don't rely on your own observations.

Your doctor can help you decide what eye treatments are best for you. If you are having trouble keeping your eyes wet (lubricated) because it is difficult to blink or close them, you may wish to do some of the following:

• Use eye drops frequently (as often as your eye feels dry, or, at minimum, every hour).
  • Apply an eye ointment at night.
  • Use an eye patch during the day and/or at night to help the eye stay closed and keep moisture in. You can also occasionally hold your eye closed.
  • Wear eyeglasses as your doctor or ophthalmologist prescribes.

Keeping your eyes moist will help prevent serious scarring that could happen if your cornea becomes dry and gets scratched.

Continue Learning about Bell's Palsy Symptoms

Should I talk to my doctor about my Bell's palsy symptoms?
If you suddenly experience symptoms that look like those of Bell's palsy, such as paralysis on one h...
When do most people start to notice symptoms of Bell's palsy?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
At first, most people notice pain behind one of their ears. A few hours to a few days later, they no...
What are the symptoms of Bell's palsy?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
You may notice that you cannot smile on one side of your face. Sometimes, patients with Bell’s palsy...
What facial complications are related to Bell's palsy?
Nerves must form connections in order to conduct impulses (electrical signals) that tell your mu...