How should I position myself in bed to avoid bed sores?

If you're immobilized and susceptible to bed sores, you may want to practice the following to find the right position for yourself in bed:

• Don't let your ankles and knees touch. Pillows and pads can be used to help keep them separated.
  • Don't lie directly on top of your hipbones. If you're lying on your side, angle yourself at 30 degrees instead.
  • Don't place a pillow or pad behind your knees if you're lying on your back. Instead, place your support underneath your legs from your ankle up to the center of your calf.
  • Don't raise the side of your bed on which your head rests beyond 30 degrees. Doing so can increase your risk of sliding down and causing injuries to your skin.

Continue Learning about Bed Sores (Pressure Ulcers)

Do bed sores always progress through the four stages of severity?
Bed sores have been categorized into four stages of severity, ranging from the mildest - stage I - t...
How do bed sores affect the body?
Bed sores occur when pressure cuts off circulation to certain areas of skin and tissue. Because bloo...
Where on the body do pressure ulcers usually form?
Jamie McGinnJamie McGinn
Bony prominences are the most common place to develop a pressure ulcer due to lack of underlying fat...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with bed sores?
Many people susceptible to bed sores also have a lack of pain perception - due to a spinal injury, f...