Why don't women go bald?

Hair is under the delicate control of sex-based hormones, including testosterone. That's why men have beards and hair on their chests and male-pattern baldness on their heads, and women don't. Women can have diffuse hair thinning, however, which can be caused by a variety of conditions.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Baldness and Hair Loss

What is the rate of incidence of baldness?
Hereditary pattern baldness is by far the most common cause of hair loss in both men and women. Howe...
How is baldness diagnosed?
Jeffrey A. Benabio, MDJeffrey A. Benabio, MD
Baldness can often be diagnosed just by an exam by a dermatologist. Always the history such as famil...
I notice hair in the tub and in my hairbrush; am I going bald?
Hair growth occurs in a cyclical fashion consisting of three distinct phases. The resting phase, or ...
What Supplements Can Help Women with Thinning Hair?