What should I avoid when taking my newborn baby out for the first time?

Avoid any closed areas where your baby could be exposed to lots of people who may be sick such as the grocery store, mall, movie theaters, parties, or airplanes. During the winter especially, it’s best to assume that everyone is contagious—some people may not show outward symptoms but can still spread germs! Whenever possible, don’t let anyone who is obviously ill near your baby, keep young children away because they tend to be even less able to keep their hands and germs to themselves, and try to decrease the number of people who touch, breathe on, and cough on your baby.

Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers
Dianne Parker
Dianne Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics

When taking a newborn out for the first time one should avoid large crowds, people with coughs, sneezes, or runny noses, and temperature extremes. A hat should be worn in direct sunlight. Avoid having anyone handle or have their face in close proximity to the baby's face. Preventing infection is paramount at this age.

Continue Learning about Baby's Physical Health

Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
Woof—It’s Good for Kiddy Gut Biome
George Graham Vest was a U.S. Senator in the late 1800s, but it’s the way he represented one of his constituents’ dog, Old Drum, that has made him par...
What should I expect during my baby's hospital stay due to infection?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
While your baby is in the hospital due to infection, the nursing staff will check up on your baby ...
How should I take my newborn's temperature?
Dr. Charles I. Schwartz, MDDr. Charles I. Schwartz, MD
Many parents choose the axillary (armpit) as a screening tool to check their baby’s temperature. The...
What is the treatment for hemangiomas in infants?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The usual treatment of hemangiomas in infants is a "tincture of time." The majority will undergo inv...