How should I wash my baby's umbilical cord during a sponge bath?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Do not wash the baby's umbilical cord. It is recommended to clean the area with alcohol swabs perhaps twice daily, keeping the area clean and dry in order to help the cord dry out. If it becomes soiled, perhaps with stool, clean with soapy washcloth and pat dry. Leave cord stump out of diaper to allow for drying.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

In general the umbilical cord area is kept clean and dry until the cord stump detaches and the area heals. When giving the infant a sponge bath wash around the umbilical area. However if the umbilical area is soiled with urine, stool, or other substances gentle cleanse the area with clear water, pat dry and fold down the infant’s diaper to expose the area to air.

Continue Learning about Baby Care Essentials

How Do I Get a Newborn Baby to Sleep?
How Do I Get a Newborn Baby to Sleep?
What Foods Should I First Feed My Baby?
What Foods Should I First Feed My Baby?
How to Get a Baby to Sleep Through the Night
Are There Any Foods That Parents Should Not Feed to Their Babies?