How does avian flu affect the body?

Avian flu, like other types of influenza, is caused by a virus that infects the respiratory system. As a result, effects on the body often focus on the throat, nose, and lungs. The nose may become congested, the throat may become sore, and a cough or sore throat may occur. A fever and muscle aches may occur. Difficulty breathing is common. In addition, some strains of bird flu cause eye infections.

Continue Learning about Avian Flu

Does avian flu affect children differently than adults?
In general, influenza affects children differently than adults. In children, the fever associate...
What areas of the world are most affected by avian flu?
So far, the areas of the world that have been most affected by avian flu (bird flu) are Asia and cou...
Can I get avian flu even if I had a flu shot?
You can get the avian flu if you get a flu shot, because the flu shot only works to protect you agai...
Is avian flu life-threatening?
Avian flu (bird flu) is rare in humans, but when it is contracted by a human it is very serious and ...