Are prescription medications available for atypical neuralgia?

Medications used to treat epilepsy are often used to treat atypical neuralgia. These are anticonvulsants and other anti-seizure medications that provide pain relief, and they all require a prescription. They include carbamazepine, phenytoin, oxcarbazepine, baclofen, and topiramate. Painkillers, either prescription or over-the-counter, usually do not help. Other treatments are also available; please consult with your physician.

Continue Learning about Atypical Neuralgia

How is atypical neuralgia diagnosed?
Your doctor will likely suspect atypical or typical neuralgia by your symptoms. A constant burning o...
What is atypical neuralgia?
Neuralgia or trigeminal neuralgia is a condition involving chronic pain in the face. While the pain ...
What is the rate of incidence for atypical neuralgia?
Atypical neuralgia is a type of trigeminal neuralgia, which is classified as a "rare disease". Trige...
How do I manage my atypical neuralgia on a daily basis?
The pain of atypical neuralgia is often constant, so daily management is key. Make sure you're in re...