Take these steps to help you prepare for your arthroscopic knee surgery:
- Ask for a ride. Someone should drive you home from the hospital and stay with you the first 24 hours after your surgery.
- Ask for time off work. Ask your doctor how long you may need to be off work, and arrange this with your employer.
- Fast the night before. Don't eat or drink anything for 6 to 8 hours before the surgery, or as instructed by your doctor. Take routine medications with a few sips of water.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Wear clothes that are loose and easy to get on and off.
- Bring assistive devices. If you have a walker, knee brace, or crutches, your doctor will advise you on using them to go home after the surgery.
- Bring a list of your current medications. This includes over-the-counter medications, herbal supplements, and vitamins. You may be asked to bring inhalers or other medications with you.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medicines, have a rash or infection near your knee, or if you have ever had any negative reactions to anesthesia.