What are the different types of aromatherapy?

The different types of aromatherapy are cosmetic, massage, and olfactory. However, regardless of which type of aromatherapy you choose, essential oils should always be diluted in a carrier oil or water.

• Cosmetic aromatherapy combines essential oils with facial, skin, body and hair care products.

• Massage aromatherapy combines the healing touch of massage therapy with the aromatic benefits of essential oils.

• Olfactory aromatherapy releases essential oils into the environment around you either by inhaling or diffusion. For inhalation, you can either dispense the essential oil into a handkerchief or spray a mixture of essential oils and distilled water into the air and breathe in. Diffusion is the evaporation of the aromatic components of an oil into the atmosphere using aromatherapy equipment.
Miracle Touch: A Complete Guide to Hands-On Therapies That Have the Amazing Ability to Heal

Discover the Healing Power of Human TouchCurious about the benefits of touch therapy? Interest in hands-on therapies has skyrocketed, and even conventional physicians now embrace these treatments as...

Continue Learning about Aromatherapy

The Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
The Health Benefits of Aromatherapy
Aromatherapy is a complementary treatment that uses essential oils to enhance relaxation and boost mental sharpness. If you love scents—concocted by d...
What is lavender aromatherapy good for?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
I use lavender combinations with my patients with cancer and other critical diseases. I also use...
Does aromatherapy help improve sleep quality?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Aromatherapy can help improve sleep quality because it's a soothing ritual; eucalyptus oil has an ad...
What Are the Benefits of Aromatherapy During Childbirth?