How is appendicitis treated?

Appendicitis is traditionally treated by removing the appendix, but early cases can be treated with antibiotics.

Dr. John E. Linn, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

Acute appendicitis is usually treated with appendectomy. In some circumstances, the appendix has perforated with a walled-off infection adjacent to it, and surgery may not be necessary. Most operations for acute appendicitis can be accomplished laparoscopically, and patients usually are discharged the next day.

Some have recently suggested that appendicitis can be treated with antibiotics alone, without surgery. However, results of this approach have not been perfect, and a significant number of patients still require surgery for this disease. Since the risk profile of laparoscopic appendectomy is fairly low, surgery is usually recommended.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

When the appendix, a small tube of tissue at the beginning of the large intestine, becomes blocked and inflamed, it must be surgically removed. Appendicitis is a medical emergency. Watch Dr. Oz discuss appendicitis.

Appendicitis is usually treated by surgically removing the appendix as soon as possible (appendectomy). Because sometimes the diagnosis is not certain, the patient’s condition will be carefully monitored for six to 12 hours before operating, and patients are also given antibiotics to fight infection. Sometimes appendicitis does not need to be treated with surgery and the treatment is just a strong course of antibiotics.

Problems and complications from the procedure are rare, but all procedures have some risk. Your doctor will review potential problems such as bleeding, infection, other organ damage and reactions to anesthesia. Complications are more common in the elderly, but other risk factors are smoking, a ruptured appendix, obesity, diabetes, chronic lung or heart disease and pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Appendicitis

How Do Antibiotics Treat Appendicitis?
How Do Antibiotics Treat Appendicitis?
In the 1984 film Dumb and Dumber, after Lloyd (Jim Carrey) gets robbed by an old lady on a motorized cart, he says to Harry (Jeff Daniels), “I didn't ...
What should I do if I think I have appendicitis?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
If you think you have appendicitis go immediately to the emergency room. Time is of the essence in t...
What is appendicitis?
Frankfort Regional Medical CenterFrankfort Regional Medical Center
Appendicitis is a localized inflammation of the appendix, usually due to blockage.
What Are the Symptoms of Appendicitis?
What Are the Symptoms of Appendicitis?