What can I do if I'm worried about dangerous events happening to me?

If you're worried about unknown danger, turn it into something known. Educate yourself on the current situation and recommendations from the federal government and public health authorities. Make reasonable plans to take safety precautions, and then think about something else. Leave the television and radio off if they're increasing your anxiety. Get involved in activities that are familiar and rewarding, such as hobbies, yard work, cleaning something, playing a sport or going to the movies. Talk to your friends and family. Plan a weekend getaway. Don't drink or smoke to compensate for anxiety because these activities ultimately do not make stress go away and can damage your health.

Continue Learning about Anxiety

4 Questions to Curb Worry
4 Questions to Curb Worry
“Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere" - Erma Bombeck  Stress and worry have become part of everyd...
What is hostess anxiety?
Tamar ChanskyTamar Chansky
Throwing a party is supposed to be fun! But for people with hostess anxiety, entertaining can be...
How is brain chemistry related to anxiety disorders?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
For decades, scientists have believed that anxiety is related to abnormalities in brain chemistry. T...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How do I explain my issues with anxiety to my children?