What is the difference between functional and dysfunctional anxiety?

Valorie Burton
Health Education
It's important to recognize the difference between concern (functional) and anxiety (dysfunctional). In this video, personal coach Valorie Burton explains that concern usually leads to productive action, while anxiety just creates unnecessary worry.
Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
In general, functional anxiety is connected to a specific situation. For example, you may feel anxious about giving a presentation, but once it's over, the anxiety dissipates. With dysfunctional anxiety, you may not be able to identify what triggered the anxiety, and the emotion may not be time limited. In other words, you may have a general sense of anxiety that doesn't seem to be connected to a specific situation, or the anxiety doesn't go away even when the situation has come to an end.

A second indicator of dysfunctional anxiety is that it may be much more intense than a typical anxiety response. Functional anxiety is uncomfortable. For example, when you're thinking about giving a presentation, you may experience a racing heart, shakiness, and even nausea. However, dysfunctional anxiety can become so intense that you have a panic attack. Finally, you can tell that anxiety is dysfunctional if it is interfering with your life in some way; for example, with your ability to perform at work or school or to engage in social activities or relationships.
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)

Even if you've just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, it's likely that you've been living with it for a long time. You've probably already developed your own ways of coping with recurring...

Continue Learning about Anxiety

Proven Ways to Break the Anxiety-Insomnia Cycle
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, 7 out of 10 adults in the U.S. report that they feel symptoms of stress and anxiety on...
What can I do to stop pulling my hair out?
It helps to keep your hands occupied. Try wearing a hair scrunchie or bracelet around your wrist...
6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child
6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child
Don’t let your child suffer from the most common mental illness in the U.S.
How Can I Tell If My Anxiety Filter Is Creating More Worry Than Necessary?