How common are anxiety disorders?

Anxiety and depression are real illnesses. If you or a loved one suffers with either of these potentially debilitating conditions, you are not alone. Anxiety disorders are the most common class of mental disorders present in the general population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) reports that 38 million Americans suffer with anxiety and depressive disorders each year, and 75 million will be afflicted with them at some point in their lives.

Finally, The World Health Organization projects that major depression will be the leading cause of disease burden by the year 2030.

Nearly 18 percent of people in the U.S. experience an anxiety disorder in any given year, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Depression and anxiety are the most common mental health disorders in the nation.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine Specialist

Over 20 million Americans are afflicted by anxiety disorders, ranging from panic attacks to general anxiety and phobias. University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) researchers believe that less than 25 percent of adults with anxiety disorders receive treatment.

A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Anxiety

How to Survive the Holidays When You Have Social Anxiety
The to-do lists are long, the calendar is full and to make things even more challenging, like 15 million other American adults, you have social anxiet...
How is brain chemistry related to anxiety disorders?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
For decades, scientists have believed that anxiety is related to abnormalities in brain chemistry. T...
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying9 Simple Strategies to Stop Worrying
Anxious, stressed, overwhelmed? Check out these scientifically backed ways to boost mood and worry less.
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How do I explain my issues with anxiety to my children?