How common are anxiety disorders?

Nearly 18 percent of people in the U.S. experience an anxiety disorder in any given year, according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). Depression and anxiety are the most common mental health disorders in the nation.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine Specialist

Over 20 million Americans are afflicted by anxiety disorders, ranging from panic attacks to general anxiety and phobias. University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) researchers believe that less than 25 percent of adults with anxiety disorders receive treatment.

A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Anxiety and depression are real illnesses. If you or a loved one suffers with either of these potentially debilitating conditions, you are not alone. Anxiety disorders are the most common class of mental disorders present in the general population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) reports that 38 million Americans suffer with anxiety and depressive disorders each year, and 75 million will be afflicted with them at some point in their lives.

Finally, The World Health Organization projects that major depression will be the leading cause of disease burden by the year 2030.

Continue Learning about Anxiety

6 Types of Anxiety Disorders
6 Types of Anxiety Disorders
Ever felt mildly anxious before a public speaking engagement? How about that big first date with someone special? Once you settled into whatever it wa...
What is the purpose of anxiety?
Dr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyDDr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyD
Anxiety is positive in many ways, because it motivates us to live life with purpose; however, when a...
6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child
6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child6 Ways To Soothe An Anxious Child
Don’t let your child suffer from the most common mental illness in the U.S.
How Can I Avoid Being Overly Anxious in Every Day Situations I Encounter?