What is cognitive therapy?

Dr. Marni Feuerman, LCSW, MFT
Marriage & Family Therapy

Cognitive therapy was originally developed by a psychoanalytically (Freudian) trained American psychiatrist named Aaron T. Beck. Cognitive therapy is one of the therapeutic approaches within the larger group of Cognitive Behavioral Therapies (CBT) and was first expounded by Beck in the 1960s. It is a form of psychotherapy using imagery, self-instruction, and related techniques to alter distorted attitudes and perceptions.  Cognition (thinking) is seen as the most significant factor in psychological problems and their treatment.

Continue Learning about Anxiety Disorders Treatment

How can I relieve symptoms of anxiety?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
You may be able to relieve your anxiety symptoms through relaxation techniques. Many self-help t...
What is the best way to treat anxiety disorders in older adults?
Recognizing and treating anxiety disorders in older adults can be challenging. Older adults are more...
Is there a cure for claustrophobia?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Episodes of claustrophobia can be treated with prescription medications and therapy, but science has...
Should I take drugs other than Xanax for panic and anxiety disorder?
MediGuardMediGuard
In general, anxiety disorders are treated with medications and the treatment choice is dependent on ...