Can what I eat help with anxiety?

Anxiety and stress can lead to snacking, and the foods we typically choose are high-sugar, high-fat, high-salt and downright unhealthy. Their ingredients can also lead to mood swings because of the impact on your blood sugar levels, which can lead to more indulging. Choose snacks that support a calmer emotional state and make sure that they are satisfying, so you don’t continue to snack emotionally. Here are some ideas for foods to add to your diet:
  • Cooked broccoli, rich in vitamin C, can help to control cortisol levels.
  • A medium-sized orange, also rich in vitamin C. Add it to a sweet or tangy dip made with Greek yogurt and some herbs. You might also try hummus dip.
  • Salmon, a fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, is a natural mood booster.
  • Avocadoes have vitamin B6 and folic acid, which help to support healthy nervous system functions, key to maintaining a calm state. Some guacamole with vegetables is a perfect calming snack. Just use portion control, since avocadoes are quite high in calories and (healthy) fat.

Continue Learning about Living With Anxiety Disorders

Can Anxiety Lead to Weight Gain?
Can Anxiety Lead to Weight Gain?
Emotions and eating are joined at the hip—or the waist—according to a study published in the journal Menopause. Researchers found that women who are g...
What are ways to help a loved one deal with anxiety?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
If someone you love has an anxiety disorder, there are several things you can do to help:Encourage a...
Can a support group help me deal with my anxiety disorder?
Support from family members and from others with anxiety disorders can improve the results of treatm...
Dr. Tamar Chansky - How can I help my partner cope with their anxiety?