What increases my risk for anxiety disorders?

Everyone responds to anxiety and stress differently. A complex combination of biological, genetic, psychological, and environmental factors affect your risk for anxiety disorders. Scientists believe anxiety disorders may run in families, so your risk for an anxiety disorder may increase if you have a close relative that suffers from one. Being exposed to emotional trauma can both cause and increase your risk for developing certain anxiety disorders.

A family history of anxiety disorders can increase your own risk.  Traumatic experiences such as physical, sexual or emotional abuse, or exposure to violence, can result is post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a type of anxiety disorder.  Effective treatments are now known for help with anxiety disorders of all types, including phobias.  If you experience anxiety to the point of distress, get help from a mental health professional.

Continue Learning about Anxiety Disorders Causes & Risk Factors

Why are women at a higher risk for anxiety disorders?
Roughly two-thirds of people with anxiety disorders are women. Anxiety disorders may affect women mo...
Can my personality affect my risk of developing an anxiety disorder?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Both shyness and a characteristic known as anxiety sensitivity increase the risk of developing certa...
What Is an Anxiety Filter?
What Is an Anxiety Filter?
Is It Normal to Dislike Being in Crowds?