Are anxiety disorders serious?

While anxiety disorders are not life-threatening, if you suffer from an anxiety disorder, you may feel as though your life has been taken away from you. Anxiety disorders can turn everyday situations into overwhelming, frightening experiences, affecting your relationship with friends, family, and coworkers. Depending on the type and severity of your condition, you may be unable to get out of bed in the morning or you may avoid public places for fear of a panic attack. While anxiety disorders are serious, they are also treatable. Medication and talk therapy have been proven effective. Your doctor can help you manage your symptoms and get your life back in control.
Kathy Sowder
Anxiety disorders are serious because they can limit your ability to do the things you want to do or need to do. Often if you are anxious, you may find yourself coping with your anxiety by avoiding certain situations, even though you realize you need to be going certain places and doing certain things. Even though you may feel better at first by avoiding, in the long run, you may feel worse and create more problems for yourself, thus increasing your anxiety.  You can receive help in dealing with your anxiety by seeing your doctor or seeing a counselor to help you find better ways of coping with and decrease your anxiety.

Continue Learning about Anxiety Disorders Causes & Risk Factors

Can abdominal pain in childhood lead to anxiety in adulthood?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
A recent study found that half of children with abdominal pain developed an anxiety disorder as adul...
Can my personality affect my risk of developing an anxiety disorder?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
Both shyness and a characteristic known as anxiety sensitivity increase the risk of developing certa...
How Can I Avoid Being Overly Anxious in Every Day Situations I Encounter?
Is There a Connection Between Sedentary Behavior and Anxiety?