When can I stop taking Harvoni?

Keith Roach, MD
Depending on whether you have had treatment for hepatitis C before and the extent of liver disease, 8 to 24 weeks. Twelve weeks is the most common, but your doctor must decide the appropriate length of treatment.
You should continue taking Harvoni (ledipasvir and sofosbuvir) as long as your doctor recommends it.

People who haven't previously been treated for hepatitis C generally will take Harvoni for 12 weeks.

Those who have been treated unsuccessfully with other drugs, but who don't have cirrhosis (scarring) of the liver typically take it for 12 weeks, as well.

People who have cirrhosis and haven't been helped by other hepatitis C drugs usually take Harvoni for 24 weeks.

People who have low levels of the virus, haven't been treated before and don't have cirrhosis may be able to take Harvoni for only eight weeks.

In all cases, your doctor will do blood tests to see if the drug is working and if the virus is still detectable in your body. For more than 90% of people who complete treatment, the virus is no longer found in the blood and the people are considered cured. Don't stop taking Harvoni without telling your doctor first.

Continue Learning about Antiviral

What other medications interact with Triumeq (or Epzicom and dolutegravir)?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking dofetilide, oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, or primidone, Triumeq and Epzicom + dolu...
Do Triumeq (or Epzicom and dolutegravir) have any side effects?
Side effects include anxiety, depression, dizziness, headache, insomnia, abnormal dreams, fever, abd...
What should I know before taking Zepatier?
Your doctor will need to check your liver enzymes before starting treatment. Checking to see if the ...
What should I know before taking Truvada and ritonavir-boosted darunavir?
Your doctor will need to measure your cholesterol, triglycerides, liver enzymes, creatinine clearanc...