How effective is orlistat?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

About 50% of adults who take orlistat and make changes to their diet and physical activity lose 5% or more of their starting weight within a year. About 25% of people lose 10% or more of their body weight. The average amount of weight lost by people taking orlistat in studies is about 7.5 lbs. Studies of teens taking orlistat show weight loss of up to about 15 lbs. Most teens in these studies had a drop in their BMI of 1 or 2 points. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Antiobesity Agent

Will Hydroxycut help me lose weight?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In a nation that likes to eat its weight in deluxe gooeyburgers, a little pill that would reduce you...
Are there prescription drugs that help with weight loss?
Yes. There are two main categories of prescription drugs. The first are appetite suppressants – ...
Can prescription weight loss drugs help me lose weight?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) found that all FDA-approved prescr...
Are There Prescription Drugs That Help with Weight Loss?