What are centrally acting alpha agonists?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Practitioner

Centrally acting alpha agonists are sometimes used to treat high blood pressure. They are not considered first-line therapy because they cause more side effects than other types of blood pressure medication. These drugs affect parts of the brain that control blood pressure and the nerves that control the blood vessels. Clonidine (Catapres) is the most often used drug in this class. Other drugs in this class are guanabenz, guanfacine (Tenex), and methyldopa.

Clonidine is more helpful for people with certain conditions. It can help prevent hot flashes due to menopause. And it is sometimes used by people who are quitting smoking. Clonidine is available in a patch that is applied once a week. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What should I know about aliskiren before taking it?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you are breastfeeding, do not use aliskiren. It is not known if this drug can be passed into brea...
More Answers
What side effects does Olmesartan and Hydrochlorothiazide cause?
Based on information from, a free medication monitoring service, 20% of patients experien...
More Answers
What should I know before I take clonidine?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you have Buerger disease, a depressive disorder, a stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA), or ...
More Answers
Do thiazide diuretics have any side effects?
Brad AdkinsBrad Adkins
Thiazides are a class of medications which work in the kidneys to increase the amout of salt and wat...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.