Can I take Benicar HCT if I am breastfeeding?

You should not take the blood pressure medication Benicar HCT (olmesartan and hydrochlorothiazide) if you are nursing. Animal studies suggest that olmesartan passes into breast milk, and hydrochlorothiazide is known to do so. Because of the possibility that Benicar HCT could harm a baby who consumes it in breast milk, experts say you should not take it while nursing. Talk with your doctor about whether you should stop breastfeeding while taking Benicar HCT, or instead switch to a different medication until your baby is weaned.

Continue Learning about Antihypertensive

What are the side effects of calcium channel blockers?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Calcium channel blockers block the influx of ions into cells, so calcium (that's the ion that gets b...
What is aliskiren?
Aliskiren (Tekturna) acts on a kidney enzyme (renin) to reduce angiotensin and aldosterone. These ar...
What are the side effects of clonidine tablets?
Side effects may include dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, heart palpitations or c...
Do thiazide diuretics have any side effects?
Brad AdkinsBrad Adkins
Thiazides are a class of medications which work in the kidneys to increase the amout of salt and wat...