Can I use nystatin and triamcinolone cream during pregnancy?

Nystatin and triamcinolone cream is used to treat fungal skin infections caused by yeast (candidiasis), a common cause of diaper rash, vaginal and anal skin infections. It is a combination of two medicines; nystatin that treats fungal skin infections and triamcinolone, an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid that relieves swelling, itching, and redness. Nystatin and triamcinolone is classified in Pregnancy Category C by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which means that some harm was observed when large doses were given to animals. However, this drug was not studied specifically in pregnant women. In general, it is not a good idea to give pregnant women corticosteroids for long periods of time because it can be absorbed into the bloodstream and may affect the fetus.

Continue Learning about Antifungal

What foods should I avoid if I take antifungal medication?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), griseofulvin (Grifulvin), ketoconazole (Nizo...
What is Cresemba?
Cresemba is a brand name for isavuconazonium, a strong antifungal medication intended to treat serio...