Who should not take Glyset?

Certain people should not take the diabetes drug Glyset (miglitol), including:
  • anyone who's allergic to the drug or to any of the ingredients in the drug
  • those who have chronic intestinal disease or inflammatory bowel disease
  • women who are pregnant, in most cases. It isn't known if this drug is safe to take during pregnancy or if it will harm a developing fetus. Glyset should only be taken during pregnancy if the benefits to a woman clearly outweigh potential risks.
  • nursing mothers. Glyset is excreted into breast milk, and so it's recommended that women who are breastfeeding not take it. 
  • children. Glyset is not approved for kids.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
The first oral medications for people with type 2 diabetes, sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to ...
What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...