Who should not take Glyset?

Certain people should not take the diabetes drug Glyset (miglitol), including:
  • anyone who's allergic to the drug or to any of the ingredients in the drug
  • those who have chronic intestinal disease or inflammatory bowel disease
  • women who are pregnant, in most cases. It isn't known if this drug is safe to take during pregnancy or if it will harm a developing fetus. Glyset should only be taken during pregnancy if the benefits to a woman clearly outweigh potential risks.
  • nursing mothers. Glyset is excreted into breast milk, and so it's recommended that women who are breastfeeding not take it. 
  • children. Glyset is not approved for kids.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does long-acting insulin cause less weight gain?
Long-acting insulin (such as Lantus and Levemir) and newer premixed insulin (such as Humulog 50/...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...