What should I know before taking pramlintide?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide.

Pramlintide increases the risk of severe hypoglycemia. This is especially dangerous for people who are unaware of hypoglycemia symptoms. 

Pramlintide may not be a good option if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, pramlintide may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...