What should I know before taking pramlintide?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide.

Pramlintide increases the risk of severe hypoglycemia. This is especially dangerous for people who are unaware of hypoglycemia symptoms. 

Pramlintide may not be a good option if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, pramlintide may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...