What should I know before taking pramlintide?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide.

Pramlintide increases the risk of severe hypoglycemia. This is especially dangerous for people who are unaware of hypoglycemia symptoms. 

Pramlintide may not be a good option if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, pramlintide may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
Does Levemir cure diabetes?
Ms. Vandana  R. ShethMs. Vandana R. Sheth
No, Levemir does not cure diabetes. However, Levemir is a type of insulin that is used to control an...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
The first oral medications for people with type 2 diabetes, sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to ...