What should seniors know before using glyburide and metformin?

Before using glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance), seniors should know whether their kidneys are working well enough to handle this combination medication for type 2 diabetes. That's because the kidneys are responsible for clearing this drug from the body -- and if it isn't cleared promptly, there's a greater risk for a rare but potentially life-threatening problem called lactic acidosis. In particular, people 80 years old and older should have their creatinine levels checked to measure their kidney function. They should also have their liver and heart function checked.

Seniors should also talk with their doctor to make sure they aren't taking any other medications that could interact negatively with glyburide and metformin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
People with type 1 diabetes and people with type 2 diabetes who take insulin can work with their die...