What is Humalog (insulin lispro)?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Humalog is a rapid-acting insulin. It is used to treat people with diabetes for the control of high blood sugar. Do not take Humalog if your blood sugar is low (hypoglycemia) or if you are allergic to insulin or any of the other ingredients in the Humalog. Humalog is by prescription only.

Humalog, the prescription drug insulin lispro, is used by people with diabetes to regulate blood glucose levels. It is classified as an insulin and is injected into the body. In diabetes, the body does not make enough insulin, a chemical needed to maintain normal blood sugar levels. Without adequate insulin, blood sugar can become dangerously high. Humalog lowers blood sugar in those who have diabetes.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...