What is glipizide-metformin?

Glipizide-metformin is a combination prescription medication that's used along with diet and exercise to treat type 2 diabetes. Glipizide-metformin tablets contain two different medications in the same pill. Glipizide is a type of medication called a sulfonylurea, and it works by decreasing the liver's production of sugar and increasing the release of insulin from pancreas. Metformin is a type of medication called a biguanide, and it works by decreasing the liver's production of sugar and decreasing the amount of sugar the intestine absorbs. By working together, Glipizide and Metformin help control blood sugar levels. Glipizide-metformin come as a tablet that's taken by mouth, usually once or twice a day or as directed by your doctor. This medication should be taken with meals and with plenty of water. Your doctor will recommend a diet and exercise plan while you're taking glipizide-metformin, and it's important to follow your doctor's recommendations closely. Glipizide-metformin are the active ingredients contained in several different generic and brand-name medications such as Metaglip. Talk to your doctor to determine whether glipizide-metformin is right for you.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...