What is Apidra?

Apidra (insulin glulisine) is a synthetic form of insulin, a hormone normally produced by the body that helps control blood sugar levels. Apidra is used to treat adults and children with type 1 diabetes, which occurs when the body doesn’t make any insulin, as well as type 2 diabetes, in which the body fails to use or produce insulin properly.

Apidra is known as a rapid-acting form of insulin—it’s most effective 30 minutes to three hours after injection. The drug is usually injected up to 15 minutes before a meal or within 20 minutes of starting one. Apidra may be combined in the syringe with another insulin drug or used together with an oral diabetes drug. It may also be delivered with an external insulin pump.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...