What is Apidra?

Apidra (insulin glulisine) is a synthetic form of insulin, a hormone normally produced by the body that helps control blood sugar levels. Apidra is used to treat adults and children with type 1 diabetes, which occurs when the body doesn’t make any insulin, as well as type 2 diabetes, in which the body fails to use or produce insulin properly.

Apidra is known as a rapid-acting form of insulin—it’s most effective 30 minutes to three hours after injection. The drug is usually injected up to 15 minutes before a meal or within 20 minutes of starting one. Apidra may be combined in the syringe with another insulin drug or used together with an oral diabetes drug. It may also be delivered with an external insulin pump.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is pramlintide?
Pramlintide (Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin. Pramlintide lowers blood sugar by sl...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...