If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?

Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes, the pancreas makes and releases small amounts of insulin throughout the day and night. This is called the basal insulin. The pancreas also releases a short burst of insulin when people without diabetes eat and their blood glucose begins to rise. This is called a bolus of insulin.
Long-acting insulins are basal insulins. Rapid-acting and regular insulins are bolus insulins. Intermediate-acting insulin may provide both basal and some bolus effect or, if taken at bedtime, provide mostly a basal effect. Most people with diabetes take both basal and bolus insulin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...