If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?

Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes, the pancreas makes and releases small amounts of insulin throughout the day and night. This is called the basal insulin. The pancreas also releases a short burst of insulin when people without diabetes eat and their blood glucose begins to rise. This is called a bolus of insulin.
Long-acting insulins are basal insulins. Rapid-acting and regular insulins are bolus insulins. Intermediate-acting insulin may provide both basal and some bolus effect or, if taken at bedtime, provide mostly a basal effect. Most people with diabetes take both basal and bolus insulin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If y...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...