What side effects does Insulin Lispro (Humalog) cause?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn
Low blood sugar is the most common side effect. There are many causes of low blood sugar, including taking too much Humalog. It is important to treat it quickly. You can treat mild to moderate low blood sugar by drinking or eating a quick source of sugar (such as juice or candy) right away. If severe, low blood sugar can cause unconsciousness, seizures, and death. Symptoms may be different for each person.

Severe life-threatening allergic reactions can happen. Get medical help if you develop a rash, have trouble breathing, rapid heartbeat, or sweating. Local or injection reactions can also happen. Don’t inject Humalog into an area that is red, swollen, or itchy. Other reactions include swelling of the hands and feet, low potassium, and weight gain.

Side effects are individual and you should talk to your doctor about any of these that you may be experiencing.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...