What are the side effects of Glipizide and Metformin?

Glipizide and metformin may cause side effects that may be severe for some people. In rare cases, the medication may cause a severe allergic reaction that leads to difficulty breathing, swelling in the face or throat, and hives. If you develop these symptoms, call 911 immediately.

Glipizide and metformin may also increase the risk for a serious condition called lactic acidosis, or a buildup of acid in the blood. If you experience symptoms such as shortness of breath, light-headedness, fainting, weakness, slowed heartbeat, feeling cold, muscle or stomach pain, or unusual sleepiness, get emergency medical attention immediately.

This medication may also lead to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), causing symptoms like excessive hunger, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, fast heartbeat, tingling in the hands and feet, cold sweat, shaking, and fainting.

Other serious side effects of glipizide and metformin may include unusual bruising and bleeding, severe   stomach pain or nausea, yellowing of the skin and eyes, increased blood pressure, and swelling or unusual weight gain. More common side effects include dizziness, headache, joint or muscle pain, mild nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach, sneezing, or cough. Other side effects may be possible, so talk to your doctor if any new or unusual symptoms develop while taking glipizide and metformin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...