What should I know about miglitol before taking it?

Before taking miglitol, you should provide your doctors with your complete medical history, including any medications or supplements you are taking, and any medical conditions you have or have ever had. It is especially important to notify your doctors if you have chronic intestinal disease, inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal obstruction, or colonic ulceration. It is important to tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or plan to become pregnant, before taking miglitol. The FDA has classified miglitol as a pregnancy category B drug, meaning studies indicate no risk to a fetus from the medication, but the effects are still largely unknown. Studies on the harm to a nursing infant from miglitol passed through breast milk are not adequate to reach a certain conclusion; ask your doctor for an analysis of the risks and benefits. It is very important that you follow an exact diet and regulate your use of alcohol while taking this drug. Any deviation in diet schedule or content may leave you with dangerously low or dangerously high blood sugar; become familiar with the symptoms of both conditions and know how to respond to them and when to seek emergency care.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does liraglutide cause any side effects?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...