What should I know about insulin glulisine before taking it?

Before using insulin glulisine, you should be well aware of how your diabetes works, how to manage it, and how to recognize symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and high blood sugar (hyperglycemia). You will likely have to use this medication yourself, which means injecting insulin glulisine before or after meals. You should never share injection needles or cartridges with anyone else, because this could spread diseases like HIV or hepatitis.

Insulin glulisine is intended to help you control your blood sugar level and does not cure diabetes. You will likely use this medication in combination with other types of insulin and other treatments for diabetes including diet, exercise, and weight control. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning on becoming pregnant, or breastfeeding before beginning to use insulin glulisine. Also, you will have to use caution and/or consult with your doctor before drinking alcohol while you are using this medication. Know that this medication acts rather quickly and can cause an unsafe drop in blood sugar levels if you do not eat within 20 minutes of taking the drug.

Before taking this medication, tell your doctor about any health conditions that you have, particularly hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), kidney disease, or liver disease. You should notify your doctor of any medications that you are taking at the same time as insulin glulisine, especially albuterol, any beta-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, lanreotide, niacin, octreotide, pramlintide, and reserpine.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...