Is Avandamet safe for diabetics?

Shannon Butler

You should talk with your doctor to determine if Avandamet is safe for you to take. The drug should only be taken by Type 2 Diabetics. Avandamet and Avandia have recently been recalled in the UK, New Zealand, South Africa and several other countries due to the possible fatal side effects, including heart attacks and congestive heart failure. The U.S. has placed restrictions on the use of these drugs. The FDA warnings can be studied online at the following URL:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm085922.pdf

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...